There are a lot of quotes about not giving up whether it's learning a skill, creating an invention like Edison or pursuing any other kind of dream. To hear the story of how his first book finally made it to publication was an example of:
- The importance of the personal connection between the writer and someone who believes in them.
- The value of patience.
- The absolute necessity of self belief.
Roger gave us some good practical tips especially about self editing which is one of the hardest skills to acquire I think.
- Read aloud; which is something I was taught to do with my business writing.
- Print it out in a different font, on different coloured paper; which I haven't tried before.
- Read it in a different place from where you wrote it.
If I needed any other reason to like him, he's a passionate supporter of libraries and does a lot of similar events.
For more information about him http://www.rjellory.com/