"Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip."
Other witers asked for their tips include Margaret Atwood, Geoff Dyer, Esther Freud.
Here are 10 random rule(plus their writer)
- The way to write a book is to actually write a book.(Anne Enright)
- Trust your reader, not everything needs to be explained.(Esther Freud)
- Finish what you're writing. Whatever you have to do to finish it , finish it.(Neil Gaiman)
- Be persistent. (Ian Rankin)
- Always carry a notebook.(Will Self)
- Write a book you'd like to read. (Hilary Mantel)
- Turn up for work. Discipline allows creative freedom. No discipline equals no freedom.(Jeannette Winterson
- Finish the day's writing when you still want to continue. (Helen Dunmore)
- Do it every day. make a habit of putting your oservations into words.(Geoff Dyer)
- Keep your exclamation marks under control you are allowed no more than two or three per 100,000 words of prose.(Elmore Leonard)