Wednesday 22 December 2010

Perfume; all you ever wanted to know

Just spent an hour researching one of my favourite subjects; perfume.  In my twenties I started trying and buying perfume and worked my way through the major perfume brands choosing favourites.  Then in the seventies and eighties I lost interest somewhat as perfumes stopped smelling the way I remembered them. 
It wasn't till later that I discovered they'd changed many of the formulae for the perfumes, partly because of EU regulations and partly because of cost. 

A couple of years ago I came across the indespensable guide for any serious perfume lover. 

Perfumes: the guide by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez

If you want to know about perfume, its history and magic as well as the chemistry then this is the book for you.  Not only is it authoritative, it's fun to read with entries that make you laugh, but will also make you think about what perfume you're wearing and why.

My happy hour has resulted in a list of perfumes to try out after Christmas so I can extend furthe my library of perfumes.  Wonderful

No comments:

Post a Comment