Sunday 5 April 2009

Business writing

Writing for your business - is it at the bottom of your to-do list

Today I'd like to talk to you if you'd like to write for your business but think you don't have the time.

We're surrounded by advice about setting goals and priorities until sometimes I want to scream. But there are certain things I pay attention to.

And those are the goals and priorities that I know have a positive effect on my business. Which priorities work will be different from business to business.

Maybe you need to be meeting face to face with prospects and you acquire your best clients that way. Maybe you find that talking to existing clients and persuading them to refer you to other works for you.

Whatever it is, you know that you're prepared to make the time and put in the energy for the results it brings you.

I'd like to suggest to you that if you already haven't done so then you should consider the impact that increasing your reputation and reach via your writing skills will have on your business.

Whether we like it or not, and many of us still don't, the Internet has changed our behaviour. For example before I sat down to write this blog, my sister and I were discussing a photo of the wives attending the G20 summit in London last week.

We were bemoaning the fact that we didn't know who everybody was in the line-up. Within minutes I was on-line and had found a photo with the names.

Even 5 years ago I wouldn't have been so quick to do that. And it's automatic now to do my research on line for clients, and check out people I meet at networking events.

This means that your prospects probably do the same thing putting more pressure on your website to help form their opinion.

Why should you raise the priority for your writing? On your site you can do the following things that will enhance your reputation:
Include testimonials from satisfied clients
Add articles showing people you're an expert in your field
Blog

Any and all of those are great places to start and may pay off for you in unexpected ways. At the least they will only cost you the time it takes for you to do them. Half an hour spent writing an article may be more cost effective than three hours at a networking event.

Like any other activity, writing for your business needs to be done consistently to create the results. Give it a real go and see how it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment