Friday 30 April 2010

Kazuo Ishiguro

I met up with a business colleague yesterday and one of the things we talked about was our reactions to reading the short stories by Ishiguro collected under the title of Nocturnes.

Since I'd only met her once previously I didn't know her tastes in reading but she'd posted on LinkedIn that she was reading Nocturnes.  I'd only just finished the book so it gave us a point of connection. 

What drew me to the book, apart from liking short stories, was that Ishiguro had written the lyrics for one of my favourite singers Stacey Kent., recorded on Breakfast on the Morning Tram, issued by Blue Note in 2007.

The stories in Nocturne explore themes of life, love and music.  Both my colleague and I were left wanting to more about the characters in the stories, some of whom appear more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment