Monday 12 April 2010

Libraries - long may they survive in whatever form

Jorge Luis Borges 'I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.'

As an ex librarian, I love this quote. From the age of 7 when they allowed us to join (barabaric to make us wait so long then) I've always adored going to libraries.

Even though libraries have changed almost out of recognition since that time, I still have a thrill every time I go.  What will I discover on this visit? 

The library I use in Long Eaton is one of the Carnegie libraries set up in 1906 which were responsible for the explosion of libraries in the UK courtesy of Andrew Carnegie.  Though his business methods might have been dubious, his resulting fortune had incalcuable benefits for many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment