Theories of the Modern Stage (David Kershaw)
DATES: Every Monday for 10 weeks from 9 January 2012 to 19 March (apart from half-term 13 February), 6.30–8.30pm.
COST: £100 (£80 for NWS members).
VENUE: Nottingham Writers’ Studio, Broadway Business Centre, 3rd floor 32a Stoney Street, Nottingham, NG1 1LL.
TUTOR: David Kershaw
This course will explore the extent to which modern theories of the stage affect how a playwright works. It will investigate such things as the following:
· Whether the principles of naturalism or the theatre of alienation still have an influence on the modern theatre.
· The well-made play.
· Absurdism, political theatre and the theatre of cruelty.
· The impact of acting techniques and methods.
· The role of improvisation in script development.
· The script into performance: the role of the actor, director, designer, producer and audience.
· Audience expectations and demands.