Monday 10 October 2011

Why do you write?

It's the birthday of novelist R.K. Narayan, born in what is now Chennai, India (1906). He said: "Everyone thinks he's a writer with a mission. Myself, absolutely not. I write only because I'm interested in a type of character and I'm amused mostly by the seriousness with which each man takes himself."


I've decided I write because I get these people sitting in my head, asking me to tell their stories.  Whether they get published or not seems irrelevant. 

1 comment:

  1. Writing is, for me, a logical extension to thinking. I have too much going on in my head to work out everything in there. The only practical solution is to transfer some of the work to another medium and take some of the pressure off my poor ol’ brain. I’m not really interested in telling stories, I’m interested in solving problems that affect people.

    ReplyDelete