Thursday 31 December 2009

Your New Year's writing resolutions

Why wait until tomorrow - create your 2010 writing resolutions today.

Make SMART writing resolutions; Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely.

Specific

Not someday I'll write a book but - I'll write 2 chapters of my how to book on...(whatever is your topic).

Measureable

Not I'll write 2 chapters but - I'll write 2 chapters of 2,000 words each.

Achievable

Not I'll write 2,000 words by 2pm this afternoon but - I'll write 500 words each day for the next 8 days.

Realistic

Not I'll write a world beating novel but - I'll write 2 chapters about something I really understand and can pass on.

Timely

Not someday I'll write a book but - in 10 days I will write 2 chapters.

So instead of some unconsidered dream of writing a book someday you'll have

By the end of January 2010 I will have written 2 chapters of 2,000 words each on how to create a stuffed toy.

Or whatever is your skill or subject.

As has been said many times a goal is a dream with a time frame attached.

If you want to write then stop making excuses, not to me, not to your family or friends but to yourself. That's the only person you're cheating on.

Until you begin, you have no idea where your writing road will lead you. Take your first step now and you'll go into the New Year of 2010 already primed and in gear.

Good luck and may the writing angels be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment