Sunday 31 January 2010

Finding your writing voice

Today would have been my mother's 99th birthday.

For the last 3 years I've been older than age at death. There were times after her death when I felt guilt (for not helping enought), relief, (that her suffering was at an end) and blankness because her loss seemed to make no difference to my life.

It took me a long time to celebrate her life, her qualities and her effect on me. For many years I fought against being like her but came to appreciate the honesty and integrity that she bequeathed me.

One thing that was important and I pass on to you because I know it had an effect on me, was her lack of voice in our family.

This is a writing blog and I've written before about finding your own voice as a writer. Then I meant that each of us needs to be true to our own heart in the way we write. We need to write from the core of who we are whether writing for business or not.

Today I think about the physical significance of that. Not being able to speak out and be heard can have severe consequences on the body. It did for my mother.

Today I can, hand on heart, honour my mother for the qualities she passed on to me.

Today I salute her.

No comments:

Post a Comment