Wednesday 18 March 2009

Books into film scripts

"I've loved you so long"

Watched a great film last weekend, I've loved you so long, with Kristin Scott Thomas and Elsa Zylberstein. Along with the film which is about loss, love and relationships, there's a piece from the director Philippe Claudel.

I have to say it's the best performance I've seen from Kristin Scott Thomas who I think is often wasted in films as an elegant wearer of clothes. This was honest and raw and I rooted for her character all the way even though what's she's done is unpalatable.

What I found interesting was the director discussing the difference between his writing of the book and his approach to the film. In a unique position as the writer and director it still took him many years to make the transition to the script.

Unless your French is better than mine you, it's a subtitle experience but worth it. In fact I thought at one point I'd like to turn off the sound and just watch it as a silent film. So much emphasis on facial expressions and emotions.

Definitely worth a look. Now on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment